June 08, 2004

Bananas and Dogs

Or maybe I should say bananas and pets.

I never ever thought in a million years that dogs liked bananas. I have owned several dogs in my life and known quite a few more. I thought that all dogs hated bananas. I have seen responses from ignoring bananas to running away from bananas. I have seen this in cats too. I could never understand why the antibiotics for pets were banana flavoured, given the adverse reaction I had always seen.

Not too too long ago my mother emailed me a bunch of pet food recipes, which included a lot of snacks and treats for them. One was a birthday cake with banana 'icing'. I couldn't believe that any dog would eat that cake.

Even more recently I saw a dog on TV whose favorite snack was bananas. What the hell? My current pet runs the opposite way whenever shown a banana, and she has never even had to take the god-awful banana flavoured antibiotics.

Dogs are changing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a labrador retriever and she litterly drools when she sees or smells a banana! Her favorite mid-day snack is a 1/2 cup of organic plain yogurt mixed with a half of banana cut up into it. She absolutely looooves it!

1:39 pm  
Blogger Muss said...

Really? That is just so strange to me. My mother's cat frequently needs to go on antibiotics because of failing kidneys and it is always the banana flavoured stuff. It takes two people to give him the liquid and it always ends up all over the place.

9:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home