November 19, 2004

Up North

I have spent the last 2 years and a bit up north, away from just about everyone I know (except for a few months in Chateh, when Richard came up). In this time, I have learned a great deal about ... everything.
This year, I returned to Northern BC, to the same community I was in. I am continuing to work with the same class I had last year, minus a few students and plus a few more. This year the class dynamic is great and the students are progressing incredibly. Some students have come up 3 grade levels since the beginning of last year. The students trust me, work for me, and believe that I believe in them. They believe they can do anything I tell them that they can, and I tell them that they can do anything.
My principal and boss has become a really good friend. In fact, I can't imagine not working with him. Our teaching and management styles as well as our personalities work together very well and we can get a lot of things done together.
However, although working with my class is very rewarding this year, not many other aspects of working up here are. The other teaching staff at the school do not have the same management or teaching styles, or personalities that work with other people. This has led to some blow-outs and a lot of swallowed resentment on my behalf. Each other teacher has something about them that I cannot tolerate, one treats the students like they are idiots and basically tells them this to their faces, and the other is a moron who is clueless and has no ability to read body language (how this can work in a classroom is beyond me). Everyday I come in, I am fine in my class, but go through periods when I feel absolutely ill when I have to deal with these people.
Housing is provided to me, at a minimum cost (which, was offered to me free if I should return, then revoked), but I must share with one so infused with negative energy that at times I cannot sleep at night (or maybe it is because she keeps the temperature in the house at 16, and I am so cold it wakes me up).
My dog is slowly losing every bit of ground we have gained in the past 2 years. She is becoming neurotic and has had to go back on medication. I can establish no routine for her and my roommate won't do anything about her that I ask her to (such as keep her off the furniture). I have no yard to keep her in because the band has been neglect to finish one for me (I have 3 walls and a gate done). The house that they said I could return to had a fence and a set-up that was perfect for my dog, but they let the flaky teacher have that house.
To some it up, I have not been treated well in housing (which relates to my dog), I am finding it harder and harder to tolerate the school atmosphere outside of my classroom again, and I love the students in my class as well as my principal and feel loyal to them both.
Oh, and I am lonely for people I know, such as you guys.
Please comment.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I for one think you are wonderful. You are smart, funny, witty, caring, dedicated, and beautiful. Animals and humans are lucky to have you in their life. It is imperative that you care for yourself so that you can continue to affect those in your life in the same wonderful manner that you have so far.
Bo/Nanooke/Keisha

1:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are a little biased because you want a new sub for your school ;)

3:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home