February 22, 2005

THE Time Off

You know, at first, I really enjoyed being unemployed. I had a break, time to get some things done that I had meant to and hadn't been able to, see some people I hadn't seen in years, spend some time with close friends. Also, I wasn't poor yet and thinking that I should get all the stuff done that I wanted to because I was going to be starting work any day now.
Then, it started to last a bit longer than I expected it would. I started spending more time looking for jobs and applying for jobs and thinking about jobs. I had to start watching my finances because I hadn't really planned to be unemployed for this long so I couldn't really do so many things with those friends I hadn't seen for a while.
The situation hit critical soon after that and I became a bevy of activity, talking to everyone I knew about possible jobs, applying to any job anywhere in the province, reasoning that the main reason I quit my last job, that I was lonely, didn't matter with the prospect of losing my financial independence. I had to do something fast or I was going to have to move back to my mother's home. I stopped seeing friends so much because I didn't want to talk about my lack of employment, lack of finances, lack of ability to find a job, and what I had been doing to find one. The conversations were boring and depressing.
Now I am completely broke. I have never had to live on just debt before, even when I was in school. I am applying for jobs all over the country, even though I know I want to stay in this part and I am of the age where I am pretty much making decisions as to where I am going to live for the rest of my life by taking this next job. It's scaring me.
I am really disappointed in the educational/socio-economic/whatever the hell has put me in this situation. I am not a bad worker. I have excellent references and am pretty good at what I do. I have 7 years of post-secondary education which is great for the jobs I am looking for but is disqualifying me for any other more menial jobs that I could take because obviously I wouldn't stay, not with that kind of education. It is here that my good references aren't great either, being so emphatic with my qualities impressing upon that I am a "go-getter" and such, who would hire someone who is better educated than them, a "go-getter", in a menial job where they would either quickly leave or quickly replace them?
I am re-thinking the decisions that got me here. I could be in fourth year medical school right now. I didn't choose that option for many reasons, but right now, I am thinking at least I would have a job when I was finished. I could be designing rockets right now. These are both things I turned down to do this teaching thing. Oh the wonder. Oh the joy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home