March 19, 2005

Den of Debauchery

So I have survived my first week of number crunching, paper pushing, mouldy trailer sitting work. I must say, the job does not look to be that challenging. That is okay, I am not looking for a challenge. I am looking for a pay cheque. Ha! And that is the funny part. The amount I am getting paid. Oh well.
People are worried about me being able to handle the position. "Muss, what do you think so far? Are you going to be able to pick it up?" I am asked several times a day. I answer, "Well, so far so good, but I'll have to see how it goes. I haven't really done too much yet." I say this so they don't get an inclining into the prowness of my monster brain. HA HA! No, not really. But looking at the other staff, the early 20's just need money to buy the next round of beer show up to work hung-over and not being able to tell left from right, I think I can handle it. So far anyway. I take the numbers, enter them in the proper place in the accounting formats, and move them along. When they don't add up, I figure out why they don't and fix it. Oh, and I answer the phone in a pleasant manner and direct calls. Also, I count a lot of money. This is the bad part. I am not too good at this kind of thing, meaning my accuracy is not the greatest. It goes back to school where I wasn't too hot at math until we were allowed to use calculators and there were less numbers and more other things, then I could do it. The little details just aren't that fun I guess. Plus money is dirty. Yuck. So I want to wash my hands all the time. This involves me leaving the trailer (AND THE PHONE FOR CHRIST'S SAKE) and going into the main building, washing my hands and coming back. Other people can have smoke breaks, I have hand-washing breaks. My hands are getting all old looking, chapped and red. Cuticles suck too.
I have been talking to people, the friend whose brother was hired the same time I was for the same reasons (needed a job NOW and was bored) and him, and we cannot understand why people work at this job and for so long. Like years and years. And driving a 35 to 45 minute commute each way, on a highway, so it really is quite far. The pay sucks. The people working there keep saying it is like family out there and the people are great. Oh my. Being in the office trailer (how high class the falling apart trailer is at the country club, I may add) everyone passes through at some time or another and everyone talks about everyone else. Quite severely. It is unbelievable. Then you see them talking all nice to each other, right after they just dissed that person's existence. And they gossip. About who is sleeping with who, the cheating, the lies, it is crazy. I have been out of the loop for so long that this is really a shock to my system. The closest thing I can relate this to is high school or early 20's small town life, but both times I was out of the loop. By out of the loop, I mean I didn't really associate too closely who were doing these kinds of things. I think it was self-preservation because I am a very trusting person and I knew that these kind of people, if they would do that to the persons they are closest to, why wouldn't they screw me over too? I don't know if I can work in that environment. I really don't. I am already thinking constantly about watching my back and not really talking to anyone lest anything get out that can and will be used against me at some future date.

2 Comments:

Blogger Fist said...

Every day I work with people whom I'm not interested in; not their opinions, their life history, what they did last night, what they think of this, that, the other, their politics, their reading, what they watched on TV, whether they live or die. But they all like me. It's weird.

6:14 am  
Blogger Muss said...

It is exactly the same way with me. They think I'm great, I have no interest in anything they do. I don't know how long they will think I am great at this job, I am getting slacker in my interpretations of feigning interest.

6:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home