May 10, 2005

Shining Brightly

I had this thing, had being the opportune word, where people (mostly guys) flocked to me. I don't know why, but it has been commented on by many of my friends. One guy told me it was because I looked people in the eyes when walking down the street so I stopped doing that, but it didn't change. Someone else told me it was because I didn't wear that much make-up which made me more approachable and attainable. I didn't start wearing more make-up or anything, but I didn't really give that theory much credit either.
Now I am left alone. It is weird. People rarely approach me now at all.
I think it is not to do with how I look at people or how much make-up I wear or don't wear. I think it has to do with how strong of an individual I am at the moment.
I have always been strong and independent, or portrayed myself as such, but really, was not strong inside. People who came up to me weren't looking for someone weak or anything, but I was approachable. Now, my insides are healing, I am strong, and people don't meet my eyes. When I don't sleep well or am sick, people start noticing me again, I guess because I am weakened again.
An example of this happened recently. I wear whatever I want to work, but normal clothes, so they aren't the issue.
I walk around the establishment quite a bit in the course of my job and I go into our lounge/bar quite frequently. There are always quite a few regulars in there as well as a bunch of different people just stopping by. Nobody even looks at me. The other day I had worked I think 13 or 16 days straight, hadn't slept, felt sick to my stomach, probably looked a bit ill, but the moment I walked into the lounge, every single person in the place turned and looked at me. They kept talking or doing whatever they were doing. I didn't stop them in their tracks or anything, but for the whole time I was there, I seemed to be the centre of attention.
Odd.

3 Comments:

Blogger {illyria} said...

am feeling you on this one. i'm used to my share of attention but on those days when i look green and puke-y, the crowd gets ridiculously bigger. misery loves company.

8:10 pm  
Blogger Fist said...

So... you're subtley intimidating, Muss? Must be the vinegar!

2:00 am  
Blogger Muss said...

I must be really ill lately, because my crowd is getting bigger by the day.

Who knows, maybe it is the vinegar?

1:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home