August 10, 2005

Dog #2

In moving to a place in the middle of nowhere with a completely different culture than me, I was amazed at the mass of stray dogs wandering around. I soon met people up there and began tutoring an RCMP officer in calculus. He and his girlfriend had two dogs, one a female that came into heat just as they moved up there. The dog was raped by every male dog that could get through the fence and had a litter of many different looking puppies. They tried to find homes for all the dogs outside of the reserve, but 2 puppies were left. I tell myself I did rescue this dog too, because if it had ended up having to be given away to someone on the reserve, it's maximum life span was a year. If it managed to survive puppyhood by eating garbage and dead animals littered around, it would have been shot when she went into heat. This dog came home with me and I told my at the time boyfriend that it was his birthday present and when he moved up with me he could have her. Really I got it for myself and to keep my dog company. This dog was a bonehead. It took months to teach her to sit and she was a poop machine. I had to set my stove timer for 15 minutes and take her out every 15 minutes to pee, and every third time she pooped too. I was very glad when he moved up and could take over that chore. When we broke up he took her with her and she is happily living with him and his parents now.
This dog and dog#1 probably saved my life inumerate times as I was living above a crazy (literally crazy) lady who was an alcholic and substance abuser who had been arrested for stabbing people before. She had decided I was the bane of her existence and hated me. I often feared for my safety, thinking she would burn down the house or succeed in her attempts to break into my dwelling. But she was terrified of dogs. At one point she accused dog #2 (still a puppy) of biting her daughter. This was impossible for 2 main reasons: since she had threatened to kill my dogs, I never let them out of my sight, which meant when they were outside they were tied up to my front door and I would have noticed someone on my porch, and she didn't have a daughter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home