August 10, 2005

Dogs #3 and #4

Dogs #3 and #4 were brothers, border collie crosses who raced every vehicle that went by. They hung out at the school I was teaching at a lot. One of my students had gotten them from a farmer about a year earlier and they just hadn't stayed home with him. His reason was, "I guess they didn't like the Kibbles and Bits I bought them to eat" (no no, it was that you didn't provide them with the pack they needed, so they went out and joined one of the packs that roamed the reserve). One was quickly called Gimpy as he had a limp and one of his eyelids was torn back. They were as skinny as hell, most likely from not eating and all the running they did. I started feeding them on my front porch. My neighbour in the other half of the duplex I stayed in starting feeding them and took them in. They became his dogs. One day a couple months later they had raced along with his car to work, as they usually did, hung around the school, and the slightly crippled one got ripped apart and eaten by a pack of Rottweilers. The RCMP shot all of that pack of Rottweilers after viewing the survelance tape. The other dog was not hurt, although was covered in blood and implicated in the death of his brother, which the tapes proved he wasn't in on and so his life was spared. He happily lived and raced with my neighbour, never putting on any weight despite frequent de-wormings and vet checks, until October of next year when a visiting mentor artist asked if she could take him to live on her farm. My friend deliberated on this for quite some time before letting this dog go. It was a great relief for me to hear that the dog was at a good home, especially after my friend killed himself. I was worried that the dog would be left to fend for itself on the reserve again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home