June 29, 2007

Last day

Today was the technical last day of school, but really my last day was yesterday. That is when I last saw the students. Today I went out for lunch with the staff and received a thoughtful "hopefully not" parting gift. I also got told again, I did a good job, but not like that. One of the teachers who is close to retiring said to me, "You know, I have never before seen what one-on-one help, what a resource or special needs teacher could do, before I worked with you. I have never seen anyone do what you do."

Aw. Gee, thanks.

Now, for the funny stuff. I swear. If you don't have a kid you should read Mimi because you are obviously missing out on all the cute stuff your kid would say, well, because you don't have one (disclaimer: there are many better reasons to have children than to get to hear the cute things they can sometimes say).

Anyway, the latest that had me rolling with laughter:

Nora: Sometimes I think I want to have a penis.
Me [silently]: Fuck, Freud already?
Me [out loud]: Really? Why?
Nora: I don't know. I just like them. I don't maybe want a penis forever. Just maybe for a while. Like maybe magic. Like maybe for a day.
Me: If you magically had a penis for a day, what would you do with it?
Nora: I don't know. [long pause] Pee, I guess.
Me: Yeah.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hermes said...

She found the secret of manhood. A wise kid.
Congratulations again on your new job.

8:44 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

i'll try the penis swop too. it might help explain a lot. and there's a few men could use an experience of the menstrual cycle.

Good Luck with the new job, I'm sure you'll be just as effective there! Lord knows we need more interested teachers in the world.

5:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home