June 18, 2007

A Phase

Of course! I am a waffle, flipping back and forth (how did that get paired with flipping back and forth on decisions, instead of a pancake, which involves much more flipping than a waffle iron). But there was this phase I went through for, oh I don't know, the first 25 years of my life where I didn't ever ever ever want children. No way, no how. No. No to kids out of my body. Never. Some of you might have experienced the effects of this as you tried to get me to hold your children, it being that I haven't ever done that. Yep, I don't know how. Then! Bing! I met this guy, and then ... well, the thought of it become much more appealing. Cute half Asian babies running around! Why not! Let's have multiples! Oh, but then he was a waffle with how he felt about me and I moved on. And the next guy, well, yeah, I thought about it a lot with him. I took some time off from serious relationships after that but still continued to obsess about having a baby, sometimes even starting relationships because I felt time was running out. I have had my clock tick really really big and have made plans and back-up plans on how to achieve this. Driven by a clock, or something. I don't know. Even when the clock wasn't up in there in my face it was there, somewhere in the back on my mind, praying on me.
A recent event, happy as it is, has made me re-evaluate things, and I guess, let something go.
I think I am quite a bit more happy and will be doing alternative things in my life. I think I will have children in my life, but most likely not from my body (I mean come on, I am a teaching, trained in the art of Kindergarten (what! it's not an art??? You try it then)). I think this pressure has lifted off my chest and out of my brain.
I hope this is true. I hope the clock just hasn't gone deep for a bit. I am much more happy without wondering about if I can get that guys sperm or not, or if I even want it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Hermes said...

I never wanted marriage, kids or anything. There were even times when I sought to avoid all of those things. But when you stop looking, it seems to happen.
Sugar feels about pets the same as you feel about kids. I hope she stays on the "no" side. One child is enough.

8:51 pm  
Blogger Muss said...

I don't think I want those things either. I totally understand that if you don't look, you usually find it. It would take some convincing (as I am sure the love of Ms. Sugar did for you) to make me change my mind.

9:29 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

satisfaction doesn't always come in the form of children. an old school friend really bothered me the other day by intimating there was something wrong about the fact that i still haven't had a baby.

i have my reasons and they're good ones. i wasn't really bothered by her thinking i'm weird, just by how closed minded that all is. there's time to change our minds up to a point too.

everybody wants different things. that's ok.

8:26 am  
Blogger Muss said...

Everyone does want different things. I was just starting to look into buying a house and realizing how unaffordable it is for me and my single life. I may have to hook up with someone just to buy a house! Pisses me off.

8:11 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

yeah, there is no doubt about it, property protects us in our old age, so we don't end up eating dog food (though there are some pretty tasty varieties on the market that seem convenient too):)

i'm thinking not everybody did the ol getting hitched at 22 thing, so there is a place for other options too. i guess it's also ok to just rent forever if you're happy and have some money saved. if enough money to buy doesn't materialise. property! so expensive!

6:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home