July 05, 2007

Holiday Done

Every night, before I go through my long involved ritual of praising the sleep angels and hoping for sand in my eyes, or whatever it is they do, I think of the perfect thing to write. Funny, insightful, all that.

Of course, during the night of tossing and turning, it goes.

I am just happy that for some reason I don't have a lack of sleep headache today.

Quick run-down of how I get ready for bed:
1. At 8:00 pm (yes, it starts at 8!!! It takes a while) I put away whatever it is I am doing and stop everything.
2. I drink some water, fill my water glass with hot water and take my dogs outside. I wait for them to pee, give them a treat and then leave them to go back inside.
3. I brush my teeth and do any night time grooming I think I need.
4. The dogs are yippy by this time, thinking I am going to go to bed without them (WITHOUT THEM dear god), so I let them in.
5. 8:30 pm, I put on my pj's and put the dogs in their crates and shut their doors (because the clicking of their damn toenails on the floor could easily keep someone with sleeping problems awake allllllllllllllll night).
6. I put hand lotion on, and if I am feeling particularly worthy, cuticle cream.
7. I pick up a book and read a few chapters.
8. At 9:15 to 9:30 (I need to read that much. If I don't read a few chapters to clear my head and put me in the right go to bed state, it just doesn't work, which is part of the reason I start to go to bed at 8) I pull the CD player closer, select one of two CD's, put it in and turn it on just so I can hear it without it revertebrating in my ears. I then grab my night time shut out the light thing and put it on.
9. I re-start the CD, and lay down.
10. I start counting my breathing, 3 counts in, 4 counts out.
11. If it is one CD, I relax parts as it tells me, if it is the other, I breath along with the music.
12. I try to focus on my lungs and trying to clear out whatever it is in them that makes me feel like I am drowning sometimes.
13. I start to fall asleep.
14. I twitch, my throat gets itchy, I wake up and drink water (now room temperature), re-start CD, and try again.
15. I fall asleep.
16. 1:00 I wake up, turn over, try to fall back asleep or get up and use the washroom, drink more water and try to fall back to sleep.
17. I re-start CD.
18. I wake up at about 4 to 4:30, it is starting to get light. I retrieve my light keeping out thing put it on and re-start the CD.
19. My alarm rings and I get up.

Okay, well, how boring was that. I can't believe you read it. And, that is a smooth night anyway. It usually goes much worse than that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

wow. crappy. maybe you need to fall asleep dry handed and dehydrated, with heavy metal music blaring, strobe lights and still wearing your clothes!? ;)

sounds your breathing might be a problem. i used a saline nasal spray (just saline, no heavy stuff) and that stopped the twitch and wake up with itchy throat and drink water (and then be awake for ages)thing.

and i switched to taking showers before bed as well as in the morning. or just at night if they make you sleepier in the morning and a heating pad on the lower back helps too.

poor you! i'll hold thumbs you get some sleep!

4:31 am  
Blogger Hermes said...

Sorry we missed you. Should have called the house but figured that your cell would have been on. Still, we'll see you on our way back next month, right? I can't give you any advice on sleeping. I have troubles staying awake.

10:20 am  
Blogger Muss said...

I am just pathetic is all.

8:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home